Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Fire & Water

Is anything more dangerous than fire and water? In describing the trials of the saints, God uses these terms: "We went through fire and through water: but thou broughtest us out into a wealthy place" (Psalm 66:12). The word wealthy means abundant, a wide place, recovery, or refreshment. God describes the trials, troubles, and afflictions of his children as "fire and water" indicating that they are very severe.

A Christian is never submerged in the flood and he is not consumed by the fire; he always passes "through." Even at the end of life the psalmist declared, "Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death." These metaphors do not necessarily refer to different types of affliction, but teach the same truth regarding God's hand upon us.

Both fire & water are dangerous. The both can destroy. When I think about water, I think about floods. With fire I think of a house fire or one of the wild fires in California that destroys homes and leaves families homeless. Same with the flooding. As we go through trials, as christians we know that God is right there with us. I can also look at fire as a candle with a soft scent that calms me and relaxes me. With water I can also think of the beach and even a relaxing, soothing bath. Which I can compare to the comfort that Gods give us.

What a wonderful devotion I read this morning. It is so true. I do think God for the trials, troubles, and the afflictions that I have been through and will continue to go through. They bring me closer to him. He cares about me so much. When you feel you just can't take anymore, there he is.. He rescues us. He loves us, he wraps us in his loving arms around us and shelters us.
I serve a mighty God.

Thank you Father for the trials. For I know you are teaching me patience. I know you are showing me that I need you, more and more everyday. Everyday I love you more than the day before. Thank you for all the trials you have brought me through. I don't have to understand the outcome, because I know you know what is best for me. Thank you for my family and for my friends. Thank you for all the things that you have blessed me with. I know father, they all belong to you.. Let me never forget that. I have what I have because of you, let me always be willing to give it to someone who is in need of it. Thank you for my church. be with my pastor. Protect him from the enemy. Protect his family. Touch James in a special way today. Direct his paths and his words today. Draw him closer to you. Be with mama today. Touch Justin. Speak to him and convict him.
Forgive me where I fail you. Draw me closer to you father. Thank you for my salvation.
In you name I pray
Amen

No comments: